Battery energy storage systems and EV chargers need special fire protection, DSPA offers the right solutions!
In the last years the fire safety of Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) has become an increasing topic of concern after several fire related incidents.
With the massive growth of sustainable energy solutions and the industry, the rise of concerns is inevitable. With a growing amount of systems operational worldwide, more fire-related incidents occur. Fires in Battery energy storage systems not only lead to a loss of business continuity but are also a serious safety issue for their surroundings and possibly human lives. This makes the introduction of fixed fire suppression systems for BESS containers becoming more and more adopted.
Typical DSPA fire suppression systems consist of one or more DSPA aerosol generators and a highly sophisticated fire detection system, assuring the customer to be notified in the early developing phase of the fire, thus giving the customer the chance to prevent many unnecessary damages. If a fire does develop, the DSPA generators will activate and quickly extinguish the fire. DSPA aerosol generators are highly effective, non-pressurized and environmental friendly.
Battery energy storage systems (BESS) fire suppression
DSPA Fire Suppression systems for Battery Energy Storage are a great fit. The DSPA journey regarding battery storage safety started already over a decade ago. Where UPS faced incidents regarding the transportation of batteries. In a Joint Task Force together with the FAA, NTSB and UPS we executed several successful fire tests in Unit Loading Devices containing Lithium-Ion batteries. Combining our early warning system with the unique characteristics of aerosol extinguishing (a technology originally developed for the aerospace industry), we are able to provide solutions where others cannot. Being active in the market for a long time, after many installations with key industry players, we’ve gained great experience in BESS fire suppression systems and are able to deliver you aturnkey solution.
So why are our DSPA Aerosol Fire Suppression Systems the unique answer to BESS safety concerns?
A Lithium-Ion battery is hard to extinguish. Normal extinguishers, which are based upon oxygen reduction, will not be able to extinguish a Lithium-Ion fire. Neither can it be extinguished with water based extinguishing systems.
DSPA aerosol intervenes with the gasses released during a fire and will not reduce the oxygen level. They interrupt the burning process in the chain reaction with radicals like Halon did. Therefore, DSPA aerosol fire suppression is particularly suitable to fight Lithium-Ion battery fires.
As stated by KIWA:
“In general Condensed aerosol technology, has the ability to control Li-ion battery fires were other well-known technologies fail to do so under standard conditions.”
- DSPA aerosol generators are very efficient, the lowest mass of suppression agent (grams per cubic meter) is required to protect any enclosure.
- DSPA aerosol has the unique characteristic to have a EN-15276-1 and ISO-15779 certified hold-time of at least 30minutes, which is the certifiable maximum. The tests done even exceeded these 30 minutes. This time refers to the time it takes for the agent concentration to drop below a specified concentration at a designated height, preventing reignition. Where other suppression solutions will not exceed 10 minutes.
- DSPA aerosol is extremely efficient in suppressing gas fires, which is the case with battery fires. A Lithium-Ion cell in thermal runaway starts venting flammable gasses. Looking to gas fires, what is the case with battery fires, DSPA only needs 31 gr/m3. Which is extremely low compared to gas suppression systems.
- Compared to other suppression media, DSPA has little to no pressure built up. Eradicating the need for pressure relieve valves, hence no constructive alterations to containers are required.
- Availability of a large range of non-pressurized aerosol fire suppression generators that can be ceiling mount and require no separate storage. Due to the large range, the smallest generators can be fitted in each compartment, even protecting individual electrical or HVAC compartments.
- 15 years serviceable lifetime, no maintenance is required to the aerosol fire suppression generators. Only a semi-annual check-up to the electrical components.
- Worldwide Support, with a worldwide network of installers your support is always nearby.